• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

getting back your ability to see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peanut.Butter

Bluelighter
this might sound so dumb

ok so i was sitting at my computer with my classes on... i hate things on my face but im out of comtacts. anyway, i decided to take them off and see if i could "train" my eyes to not need glasses....

is this possible or just wishful thinking?

I used to have a prescription of 150 (I'm not sure how the system of reading the prescription is in your country). I couldn't read anything from signs and all that. I had trouble seeing from the back of the classroom. Then I began to use contact lenses. My prescription went up to 250, back in high school! This peeved me to no end. I began to feel that the contacts were causing my poor vision, so I trashed them.

I lost my glasses too in a taxicab, so I stopped using them for a long time. I noticed that my eyes were in a state of "hyperuse" when I was wearing glasses-- everything is too clear, at least that was my observation! While without glasses, I can focus on one area and cancel out the clarity in the rest, everything is really sharp when they are on. This caused (and still causes, when I wear glasses) my eyes to be tired.

After a bit, I began doing a regimen based on the Bates method to help relax and exercise the eyes. This helped a lot in eye tension. I also used these eyedrops made from coleus plant.

My eyesight is greatly improved (with a prescription down to 75-- I can read reasonably sized signs), but is slowly becoming a bit bad again, perhaps because I have stopped doing the exercises and the drops for a few years now. I have glasses, but only when I travel for critical signage.

I will actually get back to them, after being reminded. It takes some discipline, some personal observation as to what works, and attention to personal patterns. I can't guarantee this will work, but it's always worth a shot. I'm not sure what the scientific consensus on the Bates method is, but it really improved my vision, and that matters a lot for me.

I think that this could work for nearsightedness(myopia), in fact I've been testing this out myself. I dunno about farsightedness.

I wear glasses for driving, and while I can pass the driving vision test, with quite a bit of squinting, I like to know when my turn is coming before I get there. Lettering on street signs can be troubling...
One thing that causes myopia is constantly viewing/focusing on things that are close. Paperwork, computer, etc. Do something like that for an extended period of time and then look far away, you're eyes will probably be 'trained' in that close-focus and might take a little longer to readjust. Doing things like that all the time actually makes this permanent...My eye doc said when I'm on the computer to look out through a window(or anywhere far) for 20 seconds, every 20 minutes.

Wearing glasses constantly if you don't need them is actully bad for your eyes, and you will have to increase your prescription as time passes.
When you're eyes look through glasses, it is the equivalent of bringing what you are looking at much closer to your face. Basically causing you're eyes to focus even harder. After using them for driving for a few hours, my eyes do feel extra tired from that state of "hyperuse".
I'm willing to bet that staring out into wide open spaces at extended intervals of time could improve your eyesight. In fact I notice it does when I'm out on my bike or something, and when if I'm on a spacious country road, I don't use glasses for this purpose.

I'm gonna look into that Bates thing, I would hate to see my eyes degenerate even further. It's not that they're bad, but I like that crisp, ultra clear definition my glasses bring. It's gets even worse at night or twilight, when details become even less noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.